Thursday, June 4, 2009

Child Care Books

Before Latham was born, my parents gave Nick and I Focus on the Family's Complete Book of Baby and Child Care. It has been one of the most helpful "go-to" sources for questions about Latham's development. I remember reading it when he was a newborn and thinking, "He's normal, this is all normal. What do I need to look for next?"


The book presents information from advice on developing a birth plan to how to "pass the baton" once the child is grown. It has pictures of different types of skin conditions, steps on how to handle nosebleeds, growth charts for boys and girls, and encouraging verses scattered throughout on the margins. The book is categorized by the different ages/stages of children. For example, the chapter on two year olds is broken down into physical development, language development, sleeping, feeding, toilet training, caring for the teeth, safety concerns, social development, health concerns, and parental maintenance. I have found that no matter where you may fall in your parenting style, whether you are a proponent of cobedding to a proponent of "crying it out," this book address all styles of parenting. It is not a book of "this is the right way to do things" but a book that informs.

I know this post sounds like one big advertisement...that is not my intention. I just wanted to share with all of y'all a book that has been a great source of information and encouragement when I'm feeling like my child is behind or out of control...whatever the emotion is at the time.

What are some books that you have found helpful thus far?

2 comments:

Lindsay said...

Such a good post, Jaime. I need to go buy this book.

Jodi Hendricks said...

This sounds like a great book, thank you for sharing your knowledge! It is on my list of books to get!