Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Quote for Today

"What many people try to do is they try to fit the baby into their lives rather than wrapping their lives around the baby." ~Dr. Jay Gordon

What do you think about this statement?

2 comments:

Katie said...

Granted, I am weighing in without the benefit of having my own children-but my opinion comes from the poor parenting I see working at a school all day.

I think that some people don't think that having a baby will change anything. That their priorities will be the same and that they won't have to make any sacrifices as a result of having a little person in their lives. So they take their kids out to Wal-Mart on a school night at 11:00 p.m. because that is what they have always done. And then they don't understand why their child falls asleep in class, or is grumpy, or isn't doing well at school.

I think that when you have a child, your life naturally must change to "wrap around" him or her. As the grown-ups in the situation, you have to do the right thing-whether it is disciplining the child or disciplining yourself. I know it is not easy-which is why I respect people who say that they are not yet ready to have kids because they are not yet ready to give up some things in their lives. This is also why I have huge respect for my parents, because they put our needs first and made hard choices in order to raise us right.

At the same time, I do believe that it is important for couples to still have alone time and not live vicariously through their children.

Let the discussion begin!

Katie

April said...

Good view Katie! I never thought about that but I have seen moms at Wal-Mart with their very tired children at 1 am! Matt and I decided early on that we would make sure Sarabeth knew that she was going to have to adapt to our lifestyle...within reason. I agree we must change some things about how we live when we have kids, however I also believe that parents should not totally rearrange their lives FOR their kids. Parents have lives too and need to make sure there is a healthy balance.

**Don't worry, I was without child when I was at Wal-Mart at 1 am :)